August 27, 2008

Orange Chinese Coins Quilt

meandering machine quilting

I finished this lap quilt yesterday. The whole time I was working on it I thought it was really ugly. The dominate color is a very bright orange that I don't like. I have no idea why I bought it years ago. It's been in my closet all this time because I didn't know what to do with it.

orange bars quilt

I decided to make a "Chinese coins" pattern quilt, using the orange with some fat quarters and scraps. I had a great time doing the machine quilting. The backing is muslin, which shows the quilting lines clearly. I did meandering lines up and down between the columns, using a darning foot with the feed dogs down. After all the quilting I've done with this machine in the past two weeks I think I'm getting the hang of it. One problem I had with this quilt and the green/blue one I made last week was that I kept running out of thread. I didn't buy any new spools in matching colors. I was just using what I had on hand and I finished about eight half full spools in different colors so the quilts are full of a variety of thread colors. Next time I will be sure to buy more thread at the start. Machine quilting uses a lot of thread.

Here is a blog tutorial on how to machine quilt. I used pins to baste, though, not the spray she talks about.

quilt back

It has 100% cotton batting, which is really nice to work with. I think it's pretty now that it's done. I don't know who I'll give it to but it will be someone's present in the next year. I might put it in a quilt show this fall.

quilting the orange

9 comments:

sarahmurray said...

Wow! You did such a great job. Your quilt looks wonderful! Using up all of different thread colors sounds like it would make the quilting look so fun! Thanks for sharing! x

Sandie said...

Great job. You really make me want to figure out how to take up quilting :)

Kohana said...

Your "ugly" color is my favorite! It's interesting to see the influence of the changing seasons in your projects, while I'm going from winter to spring.

Gawdess said...

it is beautifully done and I love the story of making art with something you are not sure about.

Sherri said...

Your quilt is amazing and beautiful! I love the squiggly stitching.

ELK said...

seen on SS today~just a wonderful images and the "taking you to another place" comment is so true with handiwork ~ ELK

A said...

beautiful quilt!

Sharon said...

Gorgeous!

It took me years to appreciate the work that goes into a quilt. I love the women who continue the tradition.

(shutter sisters)

littlepurplecow said...

How beautiful. Such talented hands! Thanks for sharing at Shutter Sisters.