I finished this lap quilt yesterday. The whole time I was working on it I thought it was really ugly. The dominate color is a very bright orange that I don't like. I have no idea why I bought it years ago. It's been in my closet all this time because I didn't know what to do with it.
I decided to make a "Chinese coins" pattern quilt, using the orange with some fat quarters and scraps. I had a great time doing the machine quilting. The backing is muslin, which shows the quilting lines clearly. I did meandering lines up and down between the columns, using a darning foot with the feed dogs down. After all the quilting I've done with this machine in the past two weeks I think I'm getting the hang of it. One problem I had with this quilt and the green/blue one I made last week was that I kept running out of thread. I didn't buy any new spools in matching colors. I was just using what I had on hand and I finished about eight half full spools in different colors so the quilts are full of a variety of thread colors. Next time I will be sure to buy more thread at the start. Machine quilting uses a lot of thread.
It has 100% cotton batting, which is really nice to work with. I think it's pretty now that it's done. I don't know who I'll give it to but it will be someone's present in the next year. I might put it in a quilt show this fall.
I took photos all through 2007-09 for Project 365 to post at least one photo a day. Now that my oldest son is in the Air Force we are using this photo blog to share our adventures with him across the miles.