August 2, 2008

July Mosaic

July 2008 365

I am really happy with the photos and literature selections from this month. In some ways it was the hardest challenge of the project for me so far, because many days I was uninspired and couldn't think of another way to photograph water. Those were the days when I had to find a way to play with it. Here is the whole water set on flickr if you want to see all the water shots I've got.

I had fun pouring over all my old paperbacks looking for water passages. All of the books I posted excerpts from are old favorites and actually in my house (not library books). I remembered the passages I took as particularly lovely or meaningful and I was often able to take a shot of water that in my mind related to the importance of water in the story. That is pretty amazing I think. I have a couple more books I haven't included yet and since I started the theme a few days into the month I may carry it over into August.

The theme for this month is going to be food. I don't think I'll be as strict about it because I don't think I want to really photograph food every single day. But it seems like a good month to show the variety of fresh fruit and vegetables we are enjoying.

5 comments:

GranmaL said...

Your photos are always beautiful. Looking forward to the food post.
Beautiful.

Yankee, Transferred said...

You should be happy with July. Really nice work.

Ruth said...

I feel like a dolt because I didn't realize you do themes this way. How cool. I look forward to the month of food!

Cloudscome said...

You shouldn't feet bad Ruth, because I don't always do themes. Usually it's just a mild preference for an interest. This is the first time I've been strict and intentional about shooting the same thing every day. I actually planned ahead to be able to go places alone with the sole purpose of shooting water for this series. I don't think I can keep that up.

Scrivener said...

"many days I was uninspired and couldn't think of another way to photograph water. Those were the days when I had to find a way to play with it."

I think that kind of perfectly captures the spirit of the larger idea of a project 365 too. I think kind of forcing yourself to stick with a particular subject past what you are immediately interested in about like you've done here is really productive--it forces you to stretch beyond what you already know.

At least, to a point. I'm 218 days into my self-portrait theme and sometimes I think it's pushing me to be more creative, but other times I just really, really don't want to take any more pictures of myself.