June 17, 2008

Sun room chairs

"He said, “In a certain city there was a judge who neither feared God nor respected man. And there was a widow in that city who kept coming to him and saying, ‘Give me justice against my adversary.’ For a while he refused, but afterward he said to himself, ‘Though I neither fear God nor respect man, yet because this widow keeps bothering me, I will give her justice, so that she will not beat me down by her continual coming.’” And the Lord said, “Hear what the unrighteous judge says. And will not God give justice to his elect, who cry to him day and night? Will he delay long over them? I tell you, he will give justice to them speedily. Nevertheless, when the Son of Man comes, will he find faith on earth?” -Luke 18:2-8

sunroom chairs

My first summer project is done. I recovered these chair seats so we can have breakfast and lunch in the sun room. I bought these chairs and table eight years ago at a house sale. The vinyl seats were ripped and splitting the seams. I have wanted to fix them for a couple years but I didn't know how. Two of my aunts know a lot about refinishing and reupholstering furniture so I knew it was something I could learn.

I went to the fabric store and asked the clerk a bunch of questions. I bought the canvas she recommended and went to the home improvement store to get the staple gun she told me to get. I asked the clerk in the home improvement store what kind of staples to get. I love when the clerk knows how to help you figure out a project. On their recommendations, and based on how I imagined it would work, I duct taped them back together and covered them with stain-guarded, outdoor canvas. I didn't cover the back panel because they are not ripped, although they are pretty well worn. I didn't want to fuss with sewing fitted covers. I could have painted the wrought iron frames too but decided to leave that for the next time the covers need replacing. I like how they look now with fashionablely distressed paint. I cleaned up the sun room too and threw out a bunch of old toys. I moved the table and chairs to the other side of the room so the sun won't fade the chair covers.

It's a sweet spot to sit with morning coffee reading my Bible. It is so nice to get up before the boys and look out at my garden, listening to the birds sing.

2 comments:

granmal said...

Nice job! It's does look like a good place to study the word!

writer2b said...

Agreed. I can almost hear the birds, seeing this photo and reading your description.

I sit sipping and reading and looking out at my garden too, before anyone else is up. Very sweet part of the day.