June 7, 2008

Dinner Bell

"Someone in the crowd said to him, “Teacher, tell my brother to divide the inheritance with me.” [...] And he said to them, “Take care, and be on your guard against all covetousness, for one's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions.” -Luke 12:13, 15

June 6 023

I bought this bell in a thrift store about ten years ago to use in my first grade classroom. The group that year was particularly exuberant and distracted by novelty so I collected as many different types of attention-getting tools as possible.

Now I use it to ring my kids in for dinner. When I was a kid my mom had a bell she rang for dinner and every kid in the neighborhood knew that it was our mother calling us for dinner. I like the way you can see the traces of paint in the etchings on this one. I can almost imagine what it looked like new.

If you click the picture to link through to flickr and see it large you can just make out my reflection in the blue pot.

3 comments:

Gawdess said...

what a gorgeous and interesting still life (I don't know if that is the right term) I like the textures and colours and contrasts and the story of the bell too.

Heather.PNR said...

Ooh, I really like that light green bottle on the left.

Rachel's Journal Pages said...

Love that bell and I love the story to it and how a tradition of your childhood has come alive again for your family.
Your pictures and children are beautiful and I look forward to reading more as days pass.