May 6, 2008

Light and speed

But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To him be the glory both now and to the day of eternity. Amen. -2 Peter 3:18

buttercups in morning light 2

I took that shot in the morning on the way out the door to school. Rushing past the buttercups on my front lawn I couldn't help but stop and snap a few photos. I was in the Auto mode, close-up focus and the camera adjusted automatically to aperture f/5.6, with the shutter speed at 1/125.
I was reading Shutter Sisters again yesterday and saw they were talking about capturing light so I offered this as an example.

In the evening, just before dinner I went out in the backyard with the boys and took more photos while they rode their bikes. I decided to play with shutter speed a little, setting the camera on the "S" mode. At this site shutter speed is explained: ‘the amount of time that the shutter is open’. Shutter speed is measured in seconds - or in most cases fractions of seconds. The bigger the denominator the faster the speed (ie 1/1000 is much faster than 1/30)."

may 5 048
Aperture: f/6.7
Shutter Speed: 45/10

may 5 025
Aperture: f/5.6
Shutter Speed: 55/10

may 5 036
Aperture: f/4.8
Shutter Speed: 45/10

I realized that my camera automatically adjusts the aperture for me if I change the shutter speed, and vice versa. I also noticed that leaving it in Auto the camera does the best job most of the time without my paying attention. But if I knew a particular effect I wanted to stress in a given situation I could manipulate the results by changing the speed and aperture if I got enough practice to know what I am doing. It's something to work on.

1 comment:

Gawdess said...

I really am enjoying these posts about how the camera works - I need to start playing with shutter speeds and figuring that stuff out, you and your pictures are so inspiring.

I do love the spinning rainbow garden thing.