May 5, 2008

Learning about Aperture

They promise them freedom, but they themselves are slaves of corruption. For whatever overcomes a person, to that he is enslaved. -2 Peter 2:19

may 4 046

After reading about using the A mode to adjust the aperture on my camera on a post at Shutter Sisters I decided to go outside and play around. First in the early morning, when it was misty:

drops on leaves

The way I understand it, "the smaller the number, the greater the hole", which means if you have a larger F stop the aperture opening on the camera is small and lets in less light. It narrows the depth of field. You get a focus on the center of the image but blur on the foreground and background.

may 4 025

With less light coming in the colors are muted. I went back outside later, when the sun was shining and discovered that the bright yellow flowers I always have a hard time capturing sharply are different with a higher aperture number:

at f/4:
may 4 055

at f/8:
may 4 057

You can read more about how to manipulate aperture at Shutter Sisters.

9 comments:

imac said...

Beautiful work.

Gawdess said...

i like what you are doing in this post - these are very nice, i like the water drops - now i'm off to shutter sisters

Marcie said...

You're doing a great job experimenting. Generally - I shoot with a wide open aperture. I like the depth of field it enables.
Nice images!!! Keep up the good work...

Yankee, Transferred said...

Looking good. Thanks for the referral to S.S., too.

granmal said...

Your pictures are fabulous - you must be doing okay understanding all that camera talk.

Carol said...

i love your photos espcially the leaf with the water droplets, it's beautiful.....

would you mind if i added your link in my blog?

i enjoyed

Shelli said...

Cloudscome - thank you for your kind comments on my photo page. You take beautiful photos!!! I'm so impressed. And I deeply appreciate this very simple explanation of aperture because I have the hardest time remembering it - no matter how many times I read about it! I may bookmark this page for future reference!

Audrey Mango said...

Thanks so much for your helpful tips! That's another technique I'm looking forward to getting a hang of. Great shots!

Sharon said...

Beautiful! It's a constant learning experience, isn't it?