April 4, 2008

Spring Beauty

“Listen! A sower went out to sow. And as he sowed, some seed fell along the path, and the birds came and devoured it. Other seed fell on rocky ground, where it did not have much soil, and immediately it sprang up, since it had no depth of soil. And when the sun rose, it was scorched, and since it had no root, it withered away. Other seed fell among thorns, and the thorns grew up and choked it, and it yielded no grain. And other seeds fell into good soil and produced grain, growing up and increasing and yielding thirtyfold and sixtyfold and a hundredfold.” And he said, “He who has ears to hear, let him hear.” -Mark 4:3-9

spring beauty

These little flowers, each about half an inch across and called Spring Beauty, are growing all across the grass. The white blurs in the background are more blossoms. It wasn't till I got grass stains on my knees that I was able to see the delicate pink lines running toward the center of each flower and the bright pink anthers on the stamens. The root tubers, flowers and leaves are eatable.

3 comments:

TadMack said...

I'm excited to find another edible plant! I've never heard of these! And I love that it's so gorgeous - I can see it candied on a cake, like a violet.

And I have happily identified the fuzzy thingy at the bottom of the page -- another magnolia bud, right? I was scared for a minute it was a mouse or something...

Cloudscome said...

Ha! I didn't even notice that fuzzy thing. Good for you recognizing it. These flowers are growing under the magnolia tree.

And I can see them candied on a cake too. Yum!

imac said...

Such beauty