March 4, 2008

Spring Fever

march 3 015

Now there were in the church at Antioch prophets and teachers. Barnabas, Simeon who is called Niger, Lucius of Cyrene, Manaen a member of the court of Herod the tetrarch, and Saul. While they were worshiping the Lord and fasting, the Holy Spirit said, “Set apart for me Barnabas and Saul for the work to which I have called them.” Then after fasting and praying they laid their hands on them and sent them off. -Acts 13:1-3

"Prophets and teachers in the Antioch church are an internationally, socially, and ethnically diverse group. Barnabas is from Cyprus, Simeon is Black, (Niger is Latin for "black"), presumably African, Lucius is from Cyrene, a city in northern Africa, west of Egypt, Manaen was brought up with Herod Antipas, tetrarch of Galilee, Saul is from Tarsus in Cilicia." -commentary from the NRSV Study Bible for Women, Baker Books, 1985.

march 3 016

Yesterday about 2:30 in the afternoon I went for a hurried walk looking for spring photographs. It was about 60 degrees and windy. The sunshine was warm on my shoulders but everything around me was still brown and dull from winter. I got to the edge of the woods with only a few minutes to spare before I had to turn back. Just above the creek bank I came upon this wash of bright yellow wildflowers. Glorious! When I got up close I could see bees busy hopping from bloom to bloom. I don't know what these flowers are called. Does anyone know?

march 3 014

6 comments:

imac said...

Beautiful showing here.

Audrey Mango said...

Wheee! Wow, those are bright and gorgeous. Great photos! :)

Sharon said...

B-E-A-utiful!!

Gawdess said...

they look quite a bit like creeping jenny I think, a buttercup kind of flower that loves moist areas - what a find! So glad you shared them.

granmal said...

Those were a nice find. Very spring time looking

Sandy said...

Lovely shots. I just love that splash of yellow in the midst of those bare trees. I'm learning that spring brings such wonderful surprises.