March 19, 2008

Catkin

I will bless the Lord at all times;
his praise shall continually be in my mouth.
My soul makes its boast in the Lord;
let the humble hear and be glad.
Oh, magnify the Lord with me,
and let us exalt his name together!
-Psalm 34:1-3

catkin

The other day I found the book Photographing the Natural World by Heather Angel on Buster's bookshelf. I read it straight through and I think I picked up a few tips. She talks mainly about using film, not digital, but what she says about using natural light is very helpful to me.

"Use backlighting to increase the vibrance of colorful petal or leaves viewed against a neutral background or a shadow area. Late in the day, front lighting can be very dramatic. It also enhances warm colours."
I have noticed the catkins on this bush outside my window several times. I think it's a Black Willow but I'm not sure. This is the first time I was able to go outside and take a photo right when I noticed them looking remarkable. This was late afternoon on an overcast day.

4 comments:

Gawdess said...

love the colours that are happening or beginning to happen here.
natural light shot and beautiful.

imac said...

Nature at its best.

Sharon said...

I completely agree. Late afternoon is my favorite time to take pictures, the shadows are dramatic and the light is just beautiful.

concretegodmother said...

yes, early morning and late afternoon are both dramatic times of day to shoot. of course, i'm not an enthusiastic morning person, so i usually have to content myself with the afternoon sun. :-)