March 8, 2008

Blue Madonna

blue madona

Bless the Lord, O my soul,
and all that is within me,
bless his holy name!
Bless the Lord, O my soul,
and forget not all his benefits,
who forgives all your iniquity,
who heals all your diseases,
who redeems your life from the pit,
who crowns you with steadfast love and mercy,
who satisfies you with good
so that your youth is renewed like the eagle's.

-Psalm 103:1-5

This Madonna is carved from yellowish soapstone. Buster bought it for me for Mother's Day a few years ago from Ten Thousand Villages. I've been trying to take a good picture of it for a year. The light is always wrong. This time I played with it in Picasa, making it B&W and then adjusting the "color temperature" slide to give it blue tints.

It amuses me that the baby Jesus looks like he wants to get down and run around. Mary looks a bit resigned. She's got a wicked grip on his thigh so he can't kick her.

I took the photo with the camera on a short tripod in "fireworks" mode so the shutter would stay open a long time. The lighting is candle light and overhead light.

4 comments:

Gawdess said...

I think you did a very good job of capturing this blue madonna - I also like your description of the figure.

imac said...

I remember the Black Madonna from Spain, touch it and you become pregnant.lol. Guess it works -

Sharon said...

Good pic (I love me some Picasa), and your description made me laugh out loud :)

angelfeet said...

I chuckled at your description and the I love the blue. Great photo.