February 5, 2008

Peace Quilt

Peace quilt applique

“For it will be like a man going on a journey, who called his servants and entrusted to them his property. To one he gave five talents, to another two, to another one, to each according to his ability. Then he went away. He who had received the five talents went at once and traded with them, and he made five talents more. So also he who had the two talents made two talents more. But he who had received the one talent went and dug in the ground and hid his master's money." -Matthew 25:14-15 (read the rest of the story here)

I made this quilt to hang on the wall in Punkin's room. I was piecing it together, doing the quilting and appliqué over Labor Day weekend in 2005, listening to NPR's coverage of Katrina. I will never be able to separate the horror of those reports from the memories of making this quilt. See more of it on Flickr here.

I entered the quilt in an art show later that fall. I had won a second place ribbon for the Cat Quilt the year before in the same show. The show takes place in an Episcopal church. They displayed this quilt laid out on the floor in front of the altar. All the other quilts were hung on the wall or off the balcony.
When I went through the show I was dismayed to see a woman standing on it like it was a rug . Later I saw the first prize winner standing on it in her high heels while she discussed her piece with one of the organizers. I was so distraught I couldn't even say anything. I just waited till she moved and folded it up and took it home. I never entered that show again.

7 comments:

imac said...

love the quilt bet its warm.


Quick quiz2 now up.

Gawdess said...

STANDING ON IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My stomach dropped when I read that.
This beautiful, lovingly made, marvelous piece of art and people who should know better stood on it.

Yuck.

But the quilt itself transcends that.

granmal said...

Your quilts are just beautiful, what a wonderful talent you have. We have a prayer quilt mininstry in our church - They make the quilts with a string in each square-people come by and say a prayer as they tie a knot in the quilt - then they are given to someone that needs prayer and they are reminded of how many people prayed for their need and are still praying -
Your quilts remind my of all those prayers that are going up for so many in need.
God Bless!

Ampersand said...

It's just so beautiful. I'm glad you promptly picked up and took it home.

concretegodmother said...

i'm sick about that show. what gawdess said -- they should know better! it's not unlike how the victims of katrina were treated, so i suppose it's somehow fitting. but i'm disgusted and so glad you boycotted the show thereafter!

Cloudscome said...

Ha. Every time I think about that show I tell myself I should have said something. I should have asked her to get off my quilt and I should have spoken with the people who displayed it on the floor. Ugh. But I was embarrassed to tell them what fools they were. I didn't want them to feel bad about how poorly they treated my hand quilted baby. Sheesh.

Cloudscome said...

granmal - I have read about that kind of quilt ministry. I would love to get involved with something like that at my church. Maybe when my boys are older and I can spend more time quilting...