February 17, 2008

Lenten Rose

lenten rose buds 3

My dad gave me a few of these Helleborus plants several years ago and they bloom every February, even in the snow. They are also called "Lenten Rose" because they bloom during Lent.

From today's reading:

"But Peter said, “I have no silver and gold, but what I do have I give to you. In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, rise up and walk!” And he took him by the right hand and raised him up, and immediately his feet and ankles were made strong. And leaping up he stood and began to walk, and entered the temple with them, walking and leaping and praising God." -Acts 3:6-8

6 comments:

imac said...

Nice capture.

granmal said...

I've never seen one of those. Its very pretty

Glickster said...

For more about Hellebores:

www.sunfarm.com/specials

Yankee, Transferred said...

Wonderful.

Gawdess said...

it looks so green and hopeful

Kohana said...

I just found mine opening under the children's window this week! What a comfort since I migh tmiss the daffodils I planted last spring and I will certainly miss the hyacinth.