February 12, 2008

Homework

feb 12 003

"Now from the sixth hour there was darkness over all the land until the ninth hour. And about the ninth hour Jesus cried out with a loud voice, saying, “Eli, Eli, lema sabachthani?” that is, “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?” And some of the bystanders, hearing it, said, “This man is calling Elijah.” And one of them at once ran and took a sponge, filled it with sour wine, and put it on a reed and gave it to him to drink. But the others said, “Wait, let us see whether Elijah will come to save him.” And Jesus cried out again with a loud voice and yielded up his spirit. And behold, the curtain of the temple was torn in two, from top to bottom. And the earth shook, and the rocks were split." -Matthew 27:45-51

I can never read this passage without hearing the voice of my father shouting “Eli, Eli, lema sabachthani?” from the pulpit. When I was about 10 I heard him preach a sermon on this passage in a sleepy little presbyterian church. He leaned into the congregation and thundered Jesus' last words of anguish and betrayal. There was a shocked silence in the room as we became the crowd of bystanders at the foot of the cross.


I took this picture of my youngest son Punkin yesterday after dinner. He is turning three next month. He tends toward an asthmatic cough when he's fighting a cold and we've been doing arbuterol nebulizer treatments twice a day since the end of last week.

What I love about this picture: his baby cheeks, the earnest way he holds the pencil, his eagerness to do "homework" (Me: "It's time for bed." Punkin: "No, Mama I have to do my homework!"), the sickening way the nebulizes mist curls around his face, & the bright orange of the pencil.

4 comments:

Gawdess said...

I love that I see this boy the way you do, this picture gives me that precious glimpse of being HIS mama.
Magic.

granmal said...

The nebulizer looks all to familar. My grandson has the same problem. I'm just amazed at how they can work and keep that thing on. He seems to be a determined young boy. Cute Post!

Sharon said...

Bless his heart, he is adorable :)
My RJ will be 3 next month also, on the 4th. Precious, precious age. I am melancholy about him being potty trained. No more diapers is so sad to me...

imac said...

Nice n cute post, with lots of love.