February 26, 2008

Grammy's nine patch quilt

grammy's nine patch

Now as Peter went here and there among them all, he came down also to the saints who lived at Lydda. There he found a man named Aeneas, bedridden for eight years, who was paralyzed. And Peter said to him, “Aeneas, Jesus Christ heals you; rise and make your bed.” And immediately he rose. And all the residents of Lydda and Sharon saw him, and they turned to the Lord. -Acts 9:32-35

This quilt was hand-pieced by my grandmother over forty years ago. She made the top from 3" squares saved from her dresses and my grandfather's shirts. She died before she could finish it. My mother saved it and gave it to me to finish. I tied it instead of quilting the layers because the fabric is so fragile I didn't think it could hold stitching. It's hanging on my wall now. While I was finishing it I was thinking about her and noticing that most of the dress fabric is in shades of brown.

3 comments:

Yankee, Transferred said...

Wonderful quilt. Lovely photo.

Gawdess said...

because she liked brown or it was a good serviceable colour?
that would make me think too - I love the value that this quilt holds and it is very nice to look at too!

Lilian said...

Just looking at this quilt and thinking that the fabric is from your grandparents dresses and shirts made me cry. It's so moving!! It made me think of my own grandmother, the one who's 98 and still alive, and her brown dresses. Yes, brown, she wore lots of brown... and I'm crying here.

Amazing how just one little thing can provoke such a surge of emotions!!