February 27, 2008

Family heirloom quilt

grammy's church autograph quilt

This quilt was made from feed sacks and recycled clothing in the 1930s. My grandfather was a baptist preacher in New England. During the depression his little church came to the point where they could no longer pay him so he had to leave for another place. The women of the church made this quilt as a going away gift. It is signed with all the church member's names, including several from our family. The layers are not quilted at all and I don't think there is a batting layer between top and bottom. The back is the green cotton fabric common in quilting at the time.

Links for dating quilts and "feedsack" fabric: Quilt History and Center for the Quilt

autograph quilt detail

When I was growing up we all had my grandmother's quilts on our beds. In high school I had a crazy quilt on my bed that was starting to tear and fall apart. We used to try to sew it back together. I don't know what happened to it.

The next day, as they were on their journey and approaching the city, Peter went up on the housetop about the sixth hour to pray. And he became hungry and wanted something to eat, but while they were preparing it, he fell into a trance and saw the heavens opened and something like a great sheet descending, being let down by its four corners upon the earth. In it were all kinds of animals and reptiles and birds of the air. And there came a voice to him: “Rise, Peter; kill and eat.” But Peter said, “By no means, Lord; for I have never eaten anything that is common or unclean.” And the voice came to him again a second time, “What God has made clean, do not call common.” This happened three times, and the thing was taken up at once to heaven. -Acts 10:9-16

6 comments:

Yankee, Transferred said...

I just love quilts. I have a quilt that a group of my friends with whom I took an evening fun art class made. We made one every year and then raffled it to get money for our supplies for the next year. I was thrilled when I won. It needs serious repair, and it pains me every day to see how I've let it go to pot.

Gawdess said...

Love this quilt, love the way it looks, the colours and the story behind it.

Mary Emma Allen said...

A lovely quilt and lovely memories. I still have a quilt, well worn and faded in some places, that my grandmother and I made for my bed out of feed sacks. Nanny made quilts for all four grandchildren and put our initials in the corner. Thank you for sharing yours.

NuvoFelt said...

When I was a child we would visit my grandparents regularly. Our bed there was covered in a Welsh wholecloth quilt that she had made for her wedding. Regrettably it disappeared when she was taken into hospital just before she died. I'm so pleased you have yours and your memories.

NuvoFelt said...

I meant to say, thanks for sharing your memory with us, it has reminded me of a many happy holidays and given me another conversation piece to share with my now very elderly mother.

God bless

Sharon said...

So pretty. I have a quilt that my Great-Aunt made for me, it needs repairing too. And I WILL get it repaired! Someday... ;o)