February 8, 2008

Circle of Benches

circle

"Then Jesus went with them to a place called Gethsemane, and he said to his disciples, “Sit here, while I go over there and pray.” And taking with him Peter and the two sons of Zebedee, he began to be sorrowful and troubled. Then he said to them, “My soul is very sorrowful, even to death; remain here, and watch with me.” And going a little farther he fell on his face and prayed, saying, “My Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as you will.” And he came to the disciples and found them sleeping. And he said to Peter, “So, could you not watch with me one hour? Watch and pray that you may not enter into temptation. The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.” -Matthew 26:36-41

5 comments:

imac said...

Where are all the folk , taking advantage of this nice weather today??lol.

Nice photo.


Come and visit and see what you think Lies Beneath?

Yankee, Transferred said...

I want to go sit there. Great shot.

Gawdess said...

there is a somber feel about it for me, funny how we have our own interpretations of a picture - like a memorial space.

very nice.

Audrey Mango said...

This is really powerful. I can sense waiting, expectancy, and accompaniment in the benches ... the way they're all facing the same way, but there's some part of the scene you can't see. There's emptiness there, too, though; it makes me think of the apostles wanting to be there for Jesus, but not quite getting it. The benches seem to model attentive and expectant waiting - hope, I guess - even if the future is a mystery. So Lenten! I love it! :)

Cloudscome said...

You are right,there is an expectancy and something missing.

It's actually a full circle of benches, which we call "the friendship circle". It's an outside meeting space where the kids can hang out, eat lunch, or have a class discussion; a gathering place. I can see it from the library and this shot was taken through the window.

When I took this picture it was rainy/misty so the surfaces gleam with damp.